Pages

Saturday, January 21, 2012

Recent Thrift Finds

Not too long ago I went to an estate sale with my mom. It was the first one I've ever been to (which is really surprising, actually) and I absolutely loved it! An older couple had owned a four-unit apartment building but never rented out the units - just filled them with collections of stuff! How awesome is that? The estate sale was held over three days and advertised to have thousands of vintage apothecary jars, furniture, electronics... a little bit (or a lot) of everything. As we wound through the units I couldn't help but notice that each was equipped with a vintage stove and kitchen set, all in different colors and all so kitschy and charming (: Here are some of my findings of the day!


I bought all of this, plus an amazing glass Mrs. Butterworth's bottle from the estate sale for only four dollars! I was beyond excited. I had been telling my mom the day before that I really wanted a fish shaped Jello mold and it just so happened to be the first thing I found at the estate sale... What luck!

I swear my slide collection gets bigger every time I leave the house. There's something about them that I just love... I like to try and piece together the stories about them, or make up things about the people who were taking the pictures. My favorite slide here (and possibly out of all my slides) is the one in the middle. Probably because I have no idea what they're doing! They just seem to be enjoying themselves and being curious the way kids should be.

What is it about vintage scissors/ tools that I just can't get enough of? 

Another Jello mold that I scored for a dollar at Urban Ore. If you live anywhere near Berkeley and you've never been to Urban Ore you're seriously missing out. It's a giant warehouse filled with furniture, housewares, electronics/ music, hardware, a huge selection of miscellaneous doors, and an outdoor area of bathtubs, fencing, and really anything you could ever need. And all of their inventory is donated so the prices are amazingly low! Urban Ore is a local treasure.

Finally a stack of books that was entirely free! No price is ever better than that. Top to bottom: Blithe Spirit by Noel Coward (1942), The Magician's Nephew by C.S. Lewis (1955), World Guides: Italy (1965), Twenty Stories by Steven Crane (1945) and The Fondue & Buffet Cookbook (1970). Underneath those are several travel guides (Canada, Mexico, Southern California and Oregon) and Southern Living's Annual Recipe publication from 1988. All of these were found in the book bin at a recycling center in Albany.

Happy thrifting!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...