Pages

Friday, January 20, 2012

Christmas Time

Christmas is a really huge deal in my house. It begins weeks before Christmas when we get the tree - it's a whole family affair. My mom and I decorate our house with tons of silvery, wintery decorations and plenty of glitter. Then on the 23rd we make sauces for tamales and my Grandma dedicates some time to slicing cheese into perfect-sized slivers. We wake up ridiculously early on Christmas Eve and run to La Finca for fresh masa. Since I was little I have loved carrying the bag of masa (a whopping 25 pounds!) because it's so warm when we buy it. It takes a few hours to whip out four dozen chicken tamales, and about two dozen sweet tamales. This year my dad, step-mom and little brother stayed with us so in the evening we drove around looking at pretty Christmas lights with Kai while Santa dropped off gifts at the house. The look on his face when we got home to a living room full of presents was priceless. 
Tamale ingredients: Chile verde with chicken, melty cheese, and sweet masa (for cinnamon-pineaple sweet tamales!) 

Steamy tamale time! Yummy yummy.

Gumdrop candles in the windows - so cute. The "curtains" were my brother's creative discretion (:

Ginger bread houses are so lovely... don't they just feel like Christmas?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...